Increase text size Regular text size Decrease text size




    East Genesee,South State & Fayette Streets



    • Total Acerage: 1.194
    • Type of Park: Downtown Park
    • TNT Sector: Area 1 – Downtown
    • Directions:
      From the North: Interstate 81 southbound to the exit for Clinton St/Salina St, exit 19.  Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Salina St and merge onto N Salina St.  Continue onto S Salina St.  Turn left onto E Fayette St (.2 mi).  Firefighter’s Memorial Park will be on the left in .2 mi.
      From the South: Interstate 81 northbound to the exit for Adams St/Harrison St, exit 18.  Continue straight onto Almond S.  Turn left onto E Genesee St (.3 mi).  Firefighter’s Memorial Park will be on the right in .3 mi.
      From the West: Interstate 690 eastbound to the exit for W Genesee St.  Keep right at the fork to continue toward W Genesee St.  Turn left onto W Genesee St.  Turn right onto S Salina St (. 4 mi).  Turn left onto E Fayette St (.2 mi).  Firefighter’s Memorial Park will be on the left in .2 mi.
      From the East: Interstate 690 westbound to the exit for Townsend St/Downtown, exit 13.  At the bottom of the ramp turn left onto N Townsend St.  Take 1st right onto Erie Blvd E.  Take 2nd left onto S State St (500 ft).  Park will be on the left. 


    • Hamilton White Monument is a statue and seat in memory of Hamilton S. White who lost his life at a fire on March 13, 1899. It was given by fellow fireman and other citizens. It was unveiled on June 27, 1905.
    • Monument to Fireman is to the men who lost their lives in the Collins Block disaster February 2, 1939. It was erected by the City on the east side of the Park.
    • Phillip Eckel Memorial was dedicated Syracuse Fire Chief who lost his life at a fire on June 1, 1886. Originally installed at the intersection at North Salina, Butternut and State, then moved to Eckel Park in 1955. On May 2, 1979, it moved to Fayette Park which was later renamed Fayette Firefighters Memorial Park.
    • The beautiful perimeter cast iron fence remains from the original design by landscape architect C. Hastings.
    • Fountain
    • Statuary



    Commonly known as Fayette Park, this 1.2 acre park has been known as Centre Square (1827), LaFayette Park (1838), Fayette Park (1917) and Fayette Firefighters Memorial Park (1972). In 1843, Fredrick Douglass, renowned abolitionist and orator, addressed a Syracuse audience on this site.

    Early 20th century residents would not recognize the park or its surroundings if they visited the site today. Most of the private family residences are gone. Originally designed with a spring/summer theme, this gardenesque landscape was redesigned to a more formal style in the early to mid 1900’s.

  Sitemap | Contacts |  Feedback

© 2009 City of Syracuse
| Disclaimer | Privacy
412 Spencer Street
Syracuse, NY 13204